As a follow-up to my last blog post, Start from the Real Beginning, following are some brief tips to help your organization get started with a CRM.
- Start from the “Real Beginning” (link to previous post). Codify each of these building blocks and share them with your entire organization.
- Document, document, document!
- Don’t work uphill; obtain buy-in and sign-off early, and at the highest level appropriate.
- Don’t break/reverse/ignore native functionality
- Exhaust all configuration solutions before approaching coding solutions
- If you need to conduct data migration, triple the time in your project plan
Transition and adoption:
- Ask your executive sponsor to lead the charge!
- Focus on simplicity: Business requirements and end user preferences often change after a few months of system use.
- Define reports first: Understanding the information that needs to be retrieved at all levels of your organization will inform the requirements for data entry.
- Ask for help: Partner with like organizations, user groups, or a consulting partner to discuss implementation strategies